My COVID-19 Vaccine Shot – Support Services provided by DSAO & Special Olympics Ontario
Special Olympics Ontario and the Down Syndrome Association of Ontario have been advocating to improve access to the COVID-19 vaccine for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their caregivers. We know booking a vaccine can be challenging for many people.
As you may be aware, provincial and regional health authorities are overseeing the vaccine rollout, with support from hospitals and pharmacies.
We are working with the government and other stakeholders to improve access to the vaccine for all people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Visit CLICK HERE to:
1. Find where to book a vaccine appointment or
2. Complete a form to request help to book a vaccine appointment.
People with intellectual and developmental disabilities who do not have access to the internet AND who have tried to book an appointment, but have not been able to, can call 1-888-333-5515 ext. 329 and leave a message to request support.
More info on https://www.dsao.ca/vaccine-support/
Getting Ready for My Shot
Accommodation request and preparation form for
people with intellectual and developmental disabilities
People with developmental disabilities (e.g., Down
syndrome, Autism) might be uncomfortable with
injections or reject medical procedures based on
previous negative experiences, fear, or limited
understanding. Good preparation can help to make
sure that vaccination causes minimal distress. People
have unique needs. Think of strategies that might
work best for the person you care for.
How to book a COVID-19 vaccine appointment
More information on how you can schedule your vaccine appointments.
You can also do this for someone else, if you manage their medical care and appointments.
Virtual ED for our Clients
Virtual Emergency Departments allow patients who are experiencing an urgent but not life-threatening health concern to book an appointment with emergency room doctors across Toronto Region. The virtual appointments with emergency department physicians aims to reach patients in their homes so that they do not have to come to the hospital which is critical at this point in the pandemic.
- St. Michael’s Virtual ED
- UHN Virtual ED
- Sunnybrook Virtual ED
- Humber Virtual ED
- Michael Garron Hospital Virtual ED
DSAT would like to issue the following statement on Individuals with Down Syndrome not being prioritized for Vaccine.
As some of you are aware there has been recent media highlighting the scientific evidence that those with Trisomy 21 have an increased vulnerability to Covid-19. The choice and right to have the vaccine as soon as possible should be made available to those with development disabilities, and currently they are not mentioned or given any priority on the government roll out list. DSAT has written to both municipal and provincial government health departments requesting that Individuals with Down Syndrome be prioritized, in addition to offering support to any initiatives CDSS have taken on a federal level.
Additionally, if you would like to make your voice heard on this matter, please support the growing public READYFORMYSHOT campaign here: https://www.readyformyshot.ca/
- If you live near Sunnybrook Hospital, please check their site: COVID-19 Vaccine Hub
- If you live closer to Michael Garron hospital, you may check information on their site: COVID-19 Vaccine Information for East Toronto | Michael Garron Hospital, Toronto East Health Network (MGH/TEHN)
- If you live near Mt. Sinai and Toronto General Hospital you can check: https://www.uhn.ca/COVID19_Vaccine/Pages/vaccine_clinics.aspx
- If you live in the Scarborough Area please check: COVID-19 Vaccine Information – Scarborough Health Network
- If you live near Humber River Hospital you may check: COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic – Humber River Hospital
- If you live near North York General, please check: COVID-19 Vaccination | North York General Hospital
- If you live near St Michael’s Hospital or St Joe’s you may check: COVID-19 vaccination at Unity Health – Unity Health Toronto: Providence Healthcare, St. Joseph’s Health Centre and St. Michael’s Hospital
- Surrey Place – COVID-19 resources for health care providers and caregivers
- FAMILY TIPSHEET: Wearing a Mask | Holland Bloorview